3000 West Military Highway
Job Number: 70450
Loyal Source Government Services is looking for a Nurse Practitioner to work at Mcallen, Texas as a civilian on promoting and restoring patients’ health.
For more information, please contact Tim Sherry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: NLNAC or CCNE. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Texas State License
- The duration of clinical experience must total at least 1 year. In any combination of family medicine, emergency medicine, acute care, ambulatory care, and/or public/community health medicine.
- Must not have any healthcare certifications or licenses withheld, suspended, revoked, or denied, and the NP must not have surrendered, or allowed a license or certificate to expire or lapse as a result of an investigation or disciplinary action.
- Must not have been convicted of, or pled guilty to, or pled nolo contendre to, or received probation before judgment for any crime other than a minor traffic violation the record of which has not been expunged.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Initiates and maintains compliance with policies for accreditation.
- Provides direct care to detainees.
- Works within Scope of Practice and performs functions outlined in the Protocols for Nurse Practitioners. Works within the BP First Aid Unit’ s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Performs medical histories on detainees entering the Processing Center or Border Station and completes necessary paperwork on them.
- Evaluates and provides care to detainees per SOP, with medical follow-up, on sick call, or who are walk-ins.
- Provides emergency and First Aid treatment within Scope of Work until care is transferred to a local healthcare system as appropriate.
- Performs limited, minor surgical procedures that do not require extensive care, labs, or radiographic studies. These might include such things as simple suturing of uncomplicated lacerations, incision and drainage of simply cysts.
- Reviews/reevaluates daily or as necessary, those cases requiring ongoing medical/pharmaceutical attention.
- Carries out orders authorized by the physician supervisor.
- Provides relevant patient health education to detainees verbally and/or with handouts.
- Documents all detainee medical treatment contacts.
- Documents medical/psychiatric problems on the Problem List in the detainee’ s chart and initiates a plan of treatment, referring for further medical treatment as appropriate.
- Coordinates health care needs of detainees with other staff members and coordinates referrals to off-site providers as required.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and procedures.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and privacy of medical records.
- Applies knowledge of drugs and therapeutics when prescribing and dispensing medication.
- Maintains safety when dispensing medications and is continually cognizant of the potential hazard of drug hoarding and trafficking among detainees.
- Destroys and properly disposes of all needles/syringes.
- Maintains non-involvement in the security aspects of detainee care and custody.
- Assists in the disposal of biologically hazardous wastes on a regular basis.
- In rare circumstances, may takes blood, urine specimens, sputum samples, etc. for laboratory analysis (examples might include such things as glucose finger sticks, pregnancy tests); however, in most cases, detainees will be referred to local healthcare if laboratory or radiological studies are required.
- Interprets selected laboratory findings.
- Takes direct and indirect action to isolate and quarantine cases and provide health safety and treatment for all employees and detainees at the facility when contagious diseases or chronic health problems are evident.
- Assists in maintenance of medical equipment and quality control of laboratory reagents.
- Attends general/medical staff meetings.
- Participates in QA/I activities as assigned.
- May assist in maintaining medical supply stock level, restocking as needed. May order supplies (lab and otherwise) on the allowable supplies list as necessary.
- May serve as medical escort of detainees as needed, for transfer to local healthcare.
- May serve at other Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) medical facilities on temporary duty
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- If an Infirmary (Short-Stay Unit) is onsite, may do daily rounds on patients and notify the Physician, or Clinical Director of any abnormal findings.
If you are not interested in this location, please let us know what opportunities you would be interested in as we get new positions throughout the country daily. Feel free to forward this to anyone who may be interested in working with the military or the VA as a contracted civilian, as we do offer a referral bonus. For more information, go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.